FQC Development Programme Forensic Questioning of Children Development Programme
This five day, assessed programme will enable participants to quickly and confidently:
- establish rapport, set clear expectations and introduce communication rules
- assess children’s communication needs (in relation to giving evidence)
- undertake forensic questioning to a high evidential standard
- reflect on, critique and develop practice.
This is a selective intake programme that runs across three months and is available only to members of teams (within Triangle and beyond) who have signed up to the overall programme.
By the end of the course, participants will:
By the end of the programme, participants will:
- Be able to quickly assess children’s communicative competence and needs, including children who are very young or traumatised or have communication impairments, and know when expert help is needed.
- Be clear about the essential elements of good forensic questioning based on evidence from recent research
- Be able to use the right questioning techniques for each child (this means developmentally appropriate questioning based on assessment of their communication needs)
- Be confident about question types:
- Be able to recognise and code the key question types
- Be able to quickly retrieve a range of open-ended questions and prompts and explain why they matter and know when leading or closed questions are appropriate
- Have a range of strategies for:
- rapport building, rule setting and closure
- exploring understanding of truth and lies
- getting to the topic
- separating out incidents
- using communication aids
- clarifying children’s accounts
- working with intermediaries
- Demonstrate their knowledge through a closed book exam
- Demonstrate their skills through a recorded assessment and interview with a child
- Explain their reasoning for the approach taken under cross-exam conditions.
This course is currently in its development stages, therefore it is not an open access programme. However, we will consider applicants from groups of 3 or more from police forces or other organisations involved in interviewing children. Please call or email us for more information or click here to see the Forensic Questioning of Children leaflet.
Bookings are currently available for the following dates:
- 11th & 12th March and 3rd & 4th April 2019, 9.30am-16.30pm at Triangle with filmed assessment on either 9th or 10th April
- 23rd & 24th April and 21st & 22nd May 2019 9.30am-4.30pm at Triangle with filmed assessment on either 28th or 29th May
- 16th & 17th July and 13th & 14th August 2019 9.30am-4.30pm at Triangle with filmed assessment on either 20th or 21st August
- 24th & 25th September and 22nd & 23rd October 2019 9.30am-4.30pm at Triangle with filmed assessment on either 29th or 30th October
We need help from children to assess the participants of this course. We need help from children who are: 3 to 7 years old or 7 to 15 with additional needs that affect their communication. Please click here for more information.
More dates to follow. Please contact us for more information.