FQC Development Programme Forensic Questioning of Children Development Programme
This five day, assessed programme will enable participants to quickly and confidently:
- establish rapport, set clear expectations and introduce communication rules
- assess children’s communication needs (in relation to giving evidence)
- undertake forensic questioning to a high evidential standard
- reflect on, critique and develop practice.
This is a selective intake programme that runs across three months and is available only to members of teams (within Triangle and beyond) who have signed up to the overall programme.
By the end of the course, participants will:
By the end of the programme, participants will:
- Be able to quickly assess children’s communicative competence and needs, including children who are very young or traumatised or have communication impairments, and know when expert help is needed.
- Be clear about the essential elements of good forensic questioning based on evidence from recent research
- Be able to use the right questioning techniques for each child (this means developmentally appropriate questioning based on assessment of their communication needs)
- Be confident about question types:
- Be able to recognise and code the key question types
- Be able to quickly retrieve a range of open-ended questions and prompts and explain why they matter and know when leading or closed questions are appropriate
- Have a range of strategies for:
- rapport building, rule setting and closure
- exploring understanding of truth and lies
- getting to the topic
- separating out incidents
- using communication aids
- clarifying children’s accounts
- working with intermediaries
- Demonstrate their knowledge through a closed book exam
- Demonstrate their skills through a recorded assessment and interview with a child
- Explain their reasoning for the approach taken under cross-exam conditions.
This course is currently in its development stages, therefore it is not an open access programme. However, we will consider applicants from groups of 3 or more from police forces or other organisations involved in interviewing children. Please call or email us for more information or click here to see the Forensic Questioning of Children leaflet.
Bookings are currently available for the following dates:
- 9th & 10th January and 6th & 7th February 2018 9.30am-4.30pm at Triangle, with filmed assessment either 13th or 14th February
- 6th & 7th March and 3rd & 4th April 2018 9.30am-4.30pm at Triangle, with filmed assessment either 10th or 11th April
- 24th & 25th April and 22nd & 23rd May 2018 9.30am-4.30pm at Triangle, with filmed assessment either 30th or 31st May
- 17th & 18th July and 14th & 15th August 2018 9.30am-4.30pm at Triangle, with filmed assessment either 21st or 22nd August
- 18th & 19th September and 16th & 17th October 2018 9.30am-4.30pm at Triangle, with filmed assessment either 23rd or 24th October
More dates to follow. Please contact us for more information.