FQC Development Programme Forensic Questioning of Children Development Programme
This five day, assessed programme will enable participants to quickly and confidently:
- establish rapport, set clear expectations and introduce ‘rules’
- assess children’s communication skills and needs (in relation to giving evidence)
- undertake forensic questioning to a high evidential standard
- reflect on, critique and develop practice
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Be able to quickly assess children’s communicative competence and needs, including children who are very young or traumatised or have communication impairments, and know when expert help is needed
- Be clear about the essential elements of good forensic questioning based on evidence from recent research
Be confident about question types:
Be able to recognise and code the key question types
Be able to quickly retrieve a range of open-ended questions and prompts and explain why they matter
Have a range of strategies for
rapport building, rule setting and closure
exploring understanding of truth and lies
getting to the topic
- separating out incidents
- prompting free narrative accounts
- using communication aids
- clarifying children’s accounts
- working with intermediaries
- Demonstrate their knowledge through a closed book exam
- Demonstrate their skills through a recorded assessment and interview with a child
- Explain their reasoning for the approach taken under cross-examination conditions.
This course is currently in its development stages, therefore it is not an open access programme. However, we will consider applicants from groups of 3 or more from police forces or other organisations involved in interviewing children. Please call or email us for more information or click here to see the Forensic Questioning of Children leaflet.
Bookings are currently available for the following dates:
Five day course starting 28th February & 1st March, with following 3 dates TBC. We still have a few spaces on this course so please get in touch to make sure you don't miss out.
More dates to follow.